Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Sport Specific Training--When To Do It

The "sport-specific training" buzzwords have taken the athletic training world by storm.....there is good reason for this. When done right, sport-specific training will definitely improve your game on the field, in the water or on the court. When done wrong, sport-specific training will lead you to many injuries!



Parents should not get too eager to put their kids in a sport-specific training program. Foundational core training and general muscle strength/stability/endurance should come first.

Trust me, I have seen many injuries related to high intensity sport-specific training because the player's body wasn't ready for the demands of this type of training. Don't skip steps A and B to get to step C!

You should do a major part of your sport-specific training during the offseason when you have more time to devote to improving your athletic skills, strength, power and speed. Offseason training also gives you time to recover from the full speed, intense exercises. YOU MUST TRAIN FAST TO GET FASTER AND MORE EXPLOSIVE.....IT IS HIGH RISK, HIGH REWARD!

The exercises mimic the actions made in your sport and strength is developed in the same range of motion used in your sport.

Running exercises also duplicate what you need to compete. For instance, football players would need starting speed, acceleration speed, speed endurance and power. Both training volume and intensity is high during this phase.

Plyometric exercises are also a big part of sport specific training. This is a critical phase for an elite athlete. See this post for common plyometric exercises.

Train hard and smart!

Be sure and download your Free Dumbbell and Medicine Ball Metabolic Fat Burner Workouts and start shaping your body faster!

Mark Dilworth, BA, PES
Your Fitness University
My Fitness Hut
Her Fitness Hut
Sports Fitness Hut
Rapid Fat Loss and Six Pack Abs


3 comments:

  1. To develop strength in your body it is very much essential to have an exercise and running on a daily basis. So I will suggest doing training and exercises daily. This will help you to maintain a good health and body. So do always exercise and training.
    Kinesiology Tape

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mark.. I was reading online about this subject when I landed on this page of yours. I like the fact that you have linked to various related topics that you have posted on from your own experience. As I read on one subject, I also ended up opening other posts of yours getting a lot more information that would definitely do me good when I make decisions about this. I'm considering taking up sport specific training near home in Toronto to improve my endurance and agility. But a little concerned about pushing my body too much too soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you Al....I would recommend that you download my free 10-Minute Strength and Power Workout Book. You can progress to longer workouts from there. Let me know how it goes

      Delete