Monday, August 11, 2008

Young Athletes Should Beware of Group Training Programs

There has been an increase of offerings of group training and bootcamps by personal trainers. I don't tell anyone how to run their businesses. A prospective client asked me last week if I did group training sessions for young athletes. My response was "no I don't."

Here's the reason why I don't do group training sessions of any kind: there is no way that I can give the individualized attention that's needed to properly train a client. Try monitoring the exercise activities of 20-30 people at once. It can't be effectively done by one person.

Young athletes need careful monitoring to make sure they are doing the exercises correctly. That's why I only do 1-on-1 training for all clients. Core strength exercises should be emphasized first and not the highly glamourized plyometric training.

Plyometrics should be introduced when the athlete has advanced to a level that allows she or he to handle this high level of training. I have seen more than one athlete with injuries because of inadequate core strength.

Be sure and download your Free Bodyweight 500 Metabolic Fat Burner Workout and start changing your body faster!

Mark Dilworth, BA, PES
Your Fitness University
My Fitness Hut
Her Fitness Hut
Sports Fitness Hut


No comments:

Post a Comment