Monday, September 8, 2008

Training Tips From Elite Athletes, Part 4

I hope you are beginning to see that the training methods of elite athletes are not that much different from yours! You just may have to work harder and smarter to reach your athletic goals. Don't let anyone outwork you! You don't need tons of talent to work hard!

Hope Solo is the goalie for the winning USA 2008 Olympic gold medal team. She was pulled from a game in the semifinal of the 2008 World Cup. The United States lost that game 4-0 to Brazil. After heavily criticizing coach Greg Ryan for replacing her, the team voted to not allow her to play in the 3rd place game (which USA won).

At some point, she and the team made up and she was the winning goalie on the gold medal Olympic team. Make no mistake---she is one of the best female goalies in the world!



In a July/August 2008 interview with Muscle & Fitness Hers magazine, Hope talks about her training regimen:

HERS: What is a typical training week like for you?

Hope: It really depends if I'm with the Olympic team or not. When I am with the team we do a ton of on the field, position-specific work. That means lots of diving, and getting up and diving again for me. It's exhausting. However when we have time off, I focus more on plyometrics, footwork, speed, agility, and endurance. I'm able to work on specific footwork that actually allows me to dive.

HERS: What specific weight training exercises do you do?

Hope: I'm a firm believer in bodyweight exercises and plyos. I lift weights, but minimally. I do a ton of pushups and sit-ups, both with stability balls. I also do pull-ups, lunge jumps, squat jumps, box jumps and jump rope work, which, surprisingly, really works my arms.

Download your FREE 10-Minute Strength and Power Workouts now!

Other things being equal, a muscular, powerful athlete will outperform a fat, slower or skinny, weaker athlete. Sports Fitness Hut's Fat Blaster Athletic Power Training System will give you your "lean and mean" athletic machine!

Mark Dilworth, BA, PES
Your Fitness University
My Fitness Hut
Her Fitness Hut
Sports Fitness Hut
Rapid Fat Loss and Six Pack Abs



No comments:

Post a Comment