Plyometric exercises will help you improve your speed and power. If your body has the needed strength and stability, plyometrics will improve your sports power and explosive speed. Plyometric exercises were a big part of Sports Fitness Hut's Speed and Power Camp.
See Speed Camp Youtube video!
It doesn't help you to continually get stronger if power development is not there also. Power, or speed strength (how fast your muscles can produce force) is one of the best physical predictors of success in sports. Plyometric exercises help you to increase power.
Here is a good general plyometric workout to improve your sports power and speed.
1. In Place Vertical Jumps, full speed, Double Leg, 3 sets/10, 2 minutes rest between sets
2. Depth Jumps, 2 sets/10, 2 minutes rest between sets
3. Bounding and Lateral Bounding, full speed, 2 sets of each/10, 2 minutes rest between sets
4. Side to Side Hops, full speed, 2 sets/10 each side, 1 minute rest between sets
5. Standing Long Jumps, full speed, 2 sets/10, 2 minutes rest between sets
6. Dumbbell Calf Raises, full speed, 3 sets/25, 2 minutes rest between sets
Do a plyometric workout no more than 2 days a week because of the full speed intensity of this type of workout.
Avoid knee injuries by perfecting jumping and landing techniques before progressing to full speed plyometric workouts.
Be sure and download your Free Dumbbell and Medicine Ball Metabolic Fat Burner Workouts and start shaping your body faster!
Mark Dilworth, BA, PES
Your Fitness University
My Fitness Hut
Her Fitness Hut
Sports Fitness Hut
Rapid Fat Loss and Six Pack Abs