Improve your playing speed for football because you will rarely reach maximum speed during the football game.
Here are 7 tips to improve your playing speed on the football field:
1.Starting ability is critical. You can improve starting ability by practicing starts from 3-point, 4-point, standing and moving positions. Whatever position(s) you play on the football field, practice starting from those stances often. It is important to accelerate to maximum speed (or as close as possible).
2. Increase your stride length. One good way to improve your stride length is to effectively pump your arms as fast as possible. Leg strength and power also improve your stride length.
3. Improve your stride rate (the number of steps you take per second). Leg strength and power improve your stride rate. There is one running technique that is often overlooked.
One way to run faster is to apply more force to the ground with your feet. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. The more force you apply to the ground, the more the ground will "give you power."
When you run, don't lift your knee past your "thigh being parallel" to the ground. This way, you will use your "power center" (glutes and hamstrings) to apply force to the ground instead of the less powerful hip flexors.
In other words, running "with high knees" is not the best way to run. Also, step over the opposite knee and drive the foot down into the ground to create maximum force.
4. Improve your speed endurance. Speed endurance will not make you faster but it will keep you from slowing down when you are fatigued after repeated sprints.
5. Do speed ladder and cone drills to improve your quickness and agility. Speed ladder drills and cone drills are great for improving your footwork. The drills should be done with maximum effort to mimic game-time situations.
6. Improve quickness by improving your reaction time. You do this by training to make the right choices as quickly as possible. You can practice reacting to sight or sound cues.
7. Improve your running mechanics. You should practice running mechanics every day.
Your goal should be to play the football game as fast as you can but under control!
Be sure and download your Free Dumbbell and Medicine Ball Metabolic Fat Burner Workouts and start shaping your body faster!
Mark Dilworth, BA, PES
Your Fitness University
My Fitness Hut
Her Fitness Hut
Sports Fitness Hut
Rapid Fat Loss and Six Pack Abs